Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tierra Torture day 2

Today was the 2nd day of the Tierra Torture mountain bike race and both Kat and I raced the Pro men's cross country (XC). I ended up having a great race, despite only sleeping for 6 hours last night, and won the race with a 2 minute gap to 2nd place and a 6 minuter gap to 3rd. This was my second win in as many days and I was very happy with the weekend as a whole.
My start did not go as well as I would have liked, and I had to fight for position more than I was planning to, but I was able to get into the top 3 within a couple of minutes and moved into first by half way through the first lap. Towards the end of lap 1 (of 3) I attacked and dropped 2nd place, Cameron Brenneman, and never saw him again. My legs felt surprisingly good after a hard week of training and yesterday's race, but I am looking forward to my upcoming rest week! I also got to wear my new Hammer Nutrition bibs and jersey and they were KILLER comfortable. Thanks, Hammer, for the support!
Here is a picture and short video of me racing:

Unfortunately, Kat did not have as good a race. He felt pretty good for about 25 minutes of his 2:15 race, but then his legs started hurting and he was forced to slow down. He drank a lot of Hammer HEED, took Endurolytes and Hammer Gel and eventually felt better and was able to come back and pull off a 7th place finish. Definitely a respectable result for his second-ever Pro XC.
Here are his post-race thoughts:

And just for fun, here are the post-race thoughts of Boden Franklin, an up-and-coming junior racer (and my little brother). He raced the Cat 3 Junior race (ages 18 and under) and finished 4th even though he is only 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment